This is a truly vintage jell-o recipe! These seem to be all the rage to re-create days! This particular melon jell-o creation stems from the jell-o craze in the 20th century. In 1973 this bad boy debuted on many recipe cards in household across the North America all the way into my little grandmothers cabinet. Forty five years later, I stumbled across it and decided to see what all the fuss is about!
After careful thought and consideration, aka asking my kids, we mutually agreed to give nana's recipe a try! They loved the look of it and making it was soooooo easy!
- 2 Cantaloupes, cut in half
- 1 package lime Jell-O
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 cups rye crisps crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 packages artificial sweetener
- Prepare gelatin according to package directions using 1/4 less water than instructed.
- chill until partially set.
- Once set, fold in drained pineapple.
- Cut cantaloupe in half and remove seeds in the center.
- Remove skin from the exterior and fill with jello mixture and place in fridge until fully set
- In a small bowl, combine crushed rye crisp crumbs, sweetener, cinnamon and mix.
- Prior to serving roll the outside skin in lemon juice and rye crisp mixture.
Do you know someone who loves Jell-o recipes? Make sure to share this recipe with them!
Watch our video below to see how to make this deliciously vintage dish!