If you ever went through your grandma's recipe card collection you might have stumbled onto this forgotten American culinary creation. Maybe grandma should have hid this recipe a little better but here it is the Perfection Salad!
The best way to describe this salad is all your crunchy veggies suspended in a jello salad dressing. Might sound a little odd but definitely worth the experiment for pure shock factor at your next potluck!
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (24 oz) apple juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped pimiento
- In small saucepan, combine gelatin, sugar, and salt; mix well.
- Add 1 cup water. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Stir in apple juice, lemon juice, vinegar, and 1/4 cup cold water. Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate 1 hour, or until mixture is consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Add carrot, celery, cabbage, green pepper, and pimiento; stir until well combined.
- Turn into decorative, 1 1/2-quart mold. Refrigerate 4 hours,or until firm.
- To unmold: Run small spatula around edge of mold; invert onto serving plate. Place hot dishcloth over mold; shake gently to release. Repeat, if necessary. Lift off mold. refrigerate until ready to serve.