Greek is one of my favorites for take-out meals, but it's so pricey that you can't do it all the time! Luckily, this National Gyro Day you can dine in and save with this delicious Gyros with Greek Chicken recipe.
With juicy grilled chicken breast covered in fresh toppings and creamy tzatziki, this dish is really a winner. You'll love munching on these for dinner, and anything leftover will make an amazing lunch the next day, too!
For the grilled chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 - 8 Greek Pita flatbread
- Tzatziki sauce
- Diced Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced cucumbers, chopped Romaine lettuce, diced red onions, feta cheese, cilantro and Kalamata olives, or any other optional toppings of your choice
In a mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, red wine vinegar, chopped red onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, coriander and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Place chicken in a gallon ziploc bag, pour marinade over chicken, seal bag while pressing out excess air and transfer to refrigerator to marinate 2 - 4 hours. Remove chicken during the last 30 minutes of marinating to rest at room temperature before grilling (leave in marinade).
Brush grill grates lightly with oil and preheat grill over moderately high heat. Once hot, add chicken and grill until cooked through (internal temperature should register 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer), rotating once halfway through cooking.
Remove from grill transfer to plate and brush chicken lightly with olive oil then cover with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes. Cut into strips.
To assemble gyros, layer chicken in a row along center of pita, top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, red onion, feta, cilantro and tzatziki sauce. Wrap and serve.