It's been more than 21 years since Princess Diana passed away, but surprising details of her life are still emerging after all this time.
Sadly, her life was tragically cut short at the age of 36 when she was involved in a car crash in France.
But before the Princess of Wales passed away, she made sure to write her will, but unfortunately, it was not respected.
The Original Will
Diana had written her will four years prior to her death, and made revisions to it following her heavily publicized divorce.
According to GOBankingRates, at the time of her death, the British icon was worth about $31.5 million. The money was to be put into a trust and split between her sons until they respectively turned 25.
William and Harry were also set to inherit 75% of Diana's jewelry and possessions, which the remaining 25% to be divided among her 17 godchildren.
She also chose to give her butler, Paul Burell, �50,000.
However, when she modified her will in 1996, she named her mother, Frances Ruth Shand Kydd, and her sister, Lady Elizabeth Sarah Lavinia McCorquodale, to became co-executors and co-trustees - giving them the opportunity to dish out her belongings as they deemed fit.
Following Diana's death in 1997, her mother and sister went to court and obtained a "variation order," which allowed them to distribute the royal's estate to how they saw fit.
With alterations to the will, William and Harry didn't receive their full inheritance until they reached 30 (they did however, receive income distributions at 25).
Diana's godchildren no longer were entitled to 25% of her possessions, and instead were assigned one single keepsake, which they wouldn't receive until Harry turned 30.
According to GOBankingRates, the change "effectively stripped all intended recipients of a share worth approximately $160,000."
When Harry did become of age to collect his inheritance, 150 of Diana's mementos were across the world in an exhibition. It was put together by Princess Diana's brother, Earl Spencer, which raised about $2 million, with all the proceeds going to charity.
How do you think Diana would've reacted to her family members' alterations of her will?
Keep up to date your favorite royal family by taking a look at these recent articles:
- Prince George's Official Portrait Has Been Released And It's Beyond Adorable
- Meghan Markle Receives Her First Royal Birthday Gift, And It Has Special Meaning
- Prince Harry Defends Camilla In Surprising Interview: "She Is Not A Wicked Stepmother"