Coming from a family with a love of fresh pastas and Italian food, there was definitely no shortage big meals at my house. My grandma always loved making her pasta and dough from scratch and as much as I LOVED the way her cooking tastes, but I have 3 rambunctious boys at home that leave me NO time for that.
I need the type of meal that will be quick and easy to make, that will feed 3 plus my dear husband and not leave us with a million dishes to clean up. Yes I say 'us' because if my boys want to eat the food I make, we have a rule they help contrite to dinner time in some way. I have them either clean up or help set the table and prep meals.
Given we are die hard pasta lovers, why not combine another classic with it! PIZZA! Yes please! Ok I know this combination might look a little daunting but I assure you its not!
Just boil the noodles, sprinkle with cheese and bake! You can make this with our without meat for a vegetarian option, or change up the meat sauce all together! Pairs great with ground chicken, beef or even turkey, whatever you are feeling this weekend!
Give this pizza rigatoni pie a try, it will put a spin on a simple pasta and fill all the bellies that need to be filled in your house for dinner. Kids will go crazy for it and you wont even mind making it! Its a simple, inexpensive dinner option that will leave your family wanting more.
To make this rigatoni pizza pie, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Precook your noodles for about 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are slightly al dente.
Once cooked, add in shredded Parmesan and mix thoroughly to coat the noodles evenly.
In a greased, spring form pan, place noodles standing on end and fill the pan.
In a separate pan, cook ground beef until browned all over. Add in crushed red pepper flakes, garlic and a dash of salt and pepper for tasting.
Add crushed tomatoes and continue to simmer on medium heat for about 25 minutes.
Pour the meat and tomato mixture over the noodles, pushing the sauce down into the noodles to evenly fill. Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden.
Remove the pan and cut yourself a piece of rigatoni pizza pie! A dish your family is sure to love as much as mine!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 10-15 slices of pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook ground beef until browned all over.
- Add in the crushed red pepper flakes and a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Add crushed tomatoes and simmer on medium heat for roughly 25 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook rigatoni until slightly elante, drain water and allow pasta to cool.
- Mix pasta with parmesan cheese and transfer to a 9 inch, greased spring form pan standing all the noodles on their ends.
- Pour the meat and tomato mixture atop the noodles, filling the centres when possible. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden.
- Let the pan sit for 15 minutes prior to serving.